Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Know the structure and syntactic and lexical structures of basic academic-scientific textual genres (e.g. scientific article, thesis, report).
- Distinguish the linguistic characteristics of academic discourse in the English language.
- Use specialized scientific terminology depending on the textual genre.
- Produce texts on scientific topics in their field of knowledge, demonstrating controlled use of organizational patterns, connectives, and cohesion mechanisms.
- Understand ways to search and manage authoritative sources.
- Synthesize information from available sources with critical thinking.
- Know how to avoid plagiarism (summarizing, paraphrasing, and citing research).
- Recognize different referencing systems (eg. APA, MLA, IEEE, etc.) and record the bibliographic sources used.